Ms. Madigan has been designing and teaching courses in negotiation, mediation and ADR since the early 1980’s. Although she works as a full-time mediator, she believes her more than 25 years of mediation experience brings a uniquely practical and “real world” approach to her teaching and training activities, which in turn, keep her day-to-day mediation practice fresh and current.
Denise has been a member of the Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine Law School since 1996, teaching classes in negotiation and mediation for the Straus Institute of Dispute Resolution (ranked the #1 Law School Dispute Resolution Program in the country by US News & World Reports for 12 of the past 13 years). In addition to teaching law students there, she is a member of the Straus Institute’s core professional training team offering classes to practicing lawyers, judges, state and federal court panels, and other professionals from within the United States and around the world.
Denise has designed and taught courses and workshops around the world, including academic programs at the University of Hong Kong, City University of Hong Kong, and Shantou University, in Shantou, China. Courses she taught at City University of Hong Kong were among the first courses taught by westerners that were approved for accreditation by the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre.
Denise also has taught workshops in mediation and negotiation for lawyers, judges and other professionals around the world, including Uganda, Egypt, Qatar, Austria and Brazil. Lawyers and judges from numerous other countries have participated in mulit-day workshops in the United States. Her typical approach: to introduce participants to current western thinking about mediation and negotiation and invite dialogue about how these models can be employed or modified given norms and practices unique to each host country.
Most recently Denise has co-designed and co-taught a two-day Women’s Academy workshop focusing on current research in “gender intelligence” and how women can improve their performance at the negotiation table. Offered as part of Pepperdine Law School’s Straus Institute’s professional programs, participants have included law firm partners, business executives and owners, leaders in non-profit organizations and senior law enforcement.
Representative List of Courses, Schools and Training Clients
Over the years, Ms. Madigan has been called upon by corporations, government agencies, law firms and other organizations to assist them in designing and delivering special seminars, training programs and training materials in negotiation, arbitration, and mediation. Courses and workshops have included:
- Negotiation for Lawyers
- Negotiation for Executives
- Negotiation for Managers in the Public Sector
- Negotiation and Settlement for Insurance Professionals
- Gender Issues in Negotiation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Mediating Litigated Cases
- Mediation for Judges (federal, state, and international)
- Mediating Court Cases in Developing Court Programs
- Mediating Patent Disputes
- Mediation Advocacy
- Arbitration Advocacy
- Environmental/Public Policy Dispute Resolution
- Consensus-Building in the Public Sector
Entities for which Ms. Madigan has designed and/or delivered courses in ADR include:
- Pepperdine’s Straus Institute’s Mediating the Litigated Case and other tailored courses for lawyers and judges in the United States and from around the world.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) (conferences in Chicago, Boston, Seattle and Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- The Administrative Conference of the United States (ACUS)
- Federal Judicial Center (sitting federal judges)
- California Center for Judicial Education and Research (CJER) (sitting state judges)
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)
- California Superior Court mediation panels for courts in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, Solano and Butte counties.
- Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development
- Banff Centre for Management (Banff, Alberta, Canada)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Program on Negotiation (PON) at Harvard Law School
- Farmers, State Farm, AIG, CNA and other nationwide insurance companies
- Fortune 500 companies and Am Law 100 law firms
Denise is available to provide general or customized training programs at law firms, companies, public agencies and other organizations. Please contact her directly at 310.234.8287 to discuss your organization’s needs.